Gael Clichy completes £7m move from Arsenal to Manchester City

 http://assets.kompas.com/data/photo/2011/07/05/0057031620X310.jpg


Manchester City have completed the signing of Arsenal left-back Gael Clichy for an undisclosed fee believed to be around £7 million.

The French international has been strongly linked with a move to the City of Manchester Stadium throughout the past week, and has now penned a four-year deal with the club.

The 25-year-old was the last remaining member of the 2003/2004 'Invincibles' squad and became the youngest ever Premier League winner at the tender age of 18 following his move from Cannes in 2003.

Clichy made 264 appearances during his time at Arsenal, including 41 Champions League outings, and follows in the footsteps of former Arsenal team-mates Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor in moving to City.

Speaking to City's official website, Clichy said: “I’m really happy to be joining such a great club. I hope I can add to the quality we already have here because we have a fantastic squad who I believe will continue to get better.

“I can’t wait to get started and I think anything is possible with this team.

“When I first came to England, it was Kolo Toure and Patrick Vieira who took me under their wing and really looked after me.

“Kolo would pick me up and drop me at home and his wife used to cook meals for me. Patrick was always there to offer me advice so it’s wonderful to be back and at the same club they are at.”

Clichy spent eight years under the guidance of Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, and the French international spoke fondly of his time at the club.

He added: “I have had eight fantastic years at Arsenal and made many friends. I have so many great memories from my time at Highbury and Emirates Stadium. I would like to say thank you to everyone at Arsenal for all of their support and friendship. I also want to send a big thank you to all the Arsenal supporters, who have always been so good to me.”

Former boss Wenger also gave the transfer his blessing on Arsenal’s official website, with the parting between player and club appearing to be an amicable one.

Wenger said: “We would like to thank Gael for eight years of terrific service to Arsenal, during which time he gave absolutely everything for the club.

“He has grown and developed so much since joining us in 2003, and has been a crucial part of the team over recent seasons. Gael leaves with our respect and best wishes. We wish him the very best for his future career.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment