Robin van Persie and Samir Nasri post-Birmingham interviews


Arsenal striker Robin van Persie believes the Gunners were impressive on Saturday after they eased past Birmingham City as their away form keeps improving.

Speaking to ESPN, the Dutchman explained the players knew the home side would be very physical and how they were prepared for the “battle”. Asked about the handball incident in the first half, the 27-year said with a smile how he doesn’t remember it as he added how there was contact when he went down and won the set-piece from which the Gunners took the lead.

Van Persie concluded by saying how he is now looking forward to Wednesday’s game at home against Manchester City with, a big game against a big side with the Gunners desperately needing the win to reduce the gap from Roberto Mancini’s men.

Also interviewed by ESPN was French midfielder Samir Nasri who said that he is delighted with his current form after enjoying a normal pre-season with no injures and of course, no World Cup worries.

After the game, the two Arsenal stars said :
[Today's result is] very impressive in my opinion. Birmingham is a great side, they work unbelievably hard and they’ve got points from big games.

We knew that before the game, that’s why we had to be at this level, and I think everyone worked quite hard for each other and we got some good goals.

I can’t remember [the handball incident], sorry [and] no [I wasn’t surprised the free-kick was awarded], not really, because there was contact before the moment, and I went down. In my opinion it’s a clear free-kick.

[Manchester City] is a big game. Man City has a great side and we have a great side as well so it’s game on.
I think this season I had a normal pre-season [without injury]. My partners [team-mates] make me in a good position, and then I can score and I have a lot of confidence so I try and take my chance and I’m confident at the moment and it’s good for the team.

0 comments:

Post a Comment