Ashley Cole insults Arsenal




Ashley Cole has backed big spenders Manchester City to break into the Premier League's top four.

And the Chelsea left-back even joked that it could be his old club Arsenal who suffer as a result.

The former Gunner won the title twice under Arsene Wenger and is determined to bag his first Premier League with the Blues next season.

Cole, 28, insisted the league is his personal priority - but reckons that City can be serious contenders.

He said: "I think the players City are buying are good. Obviously they have got Gareth Barry, who I know from England and he's a good player.

"They have got Stephen Ireland, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Robinho, Manu Adebayor and Carlos Tevez. They are all good players.

"This year might be tough to break in but next year, you never know with the guys they are buying.

"I think it's going to be hard for them but they could do. You never know, they may gel, click, straight away and it's magic.

"I hope they do. I have friends there and I hope they do really well - and that they finish above Arsenal."

Cole laughed as he said the name of his old club, where he gets bucket loads of abuse for moving to west London.

He has been in sparkling form during his team's pre-season tour of the States.

An impressive Chelsea dominated former boss Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan in Pasadena, California, late on Tuesday night. Didier Drogba's 20-yard curler in the 11th minute and a Frank Lampard penalty just after half-time gave Chelsea the victory over the Italian champions in front of 81,224 fans.

And Cole is now determined to take that form into the campaign. He added: "Of course it would be nice to go to another Champions League final and win it one day, but for me the Premier League is the best trophy.

"Maybe because I'm English and I've won it twice at Arsenal. It's the best league to play in and that feeling you have when you win it and how the fans are, it's a great achievement.

"Sometimes in the Champions League I don't think the best team always wins it. It depends how you play on the day.

"In the league you have to play well week-in, week-out. Manchester United were worthy champions last year."

Cole's words will be music to the ears of new Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti. The Italian has won only one league title in his career so far - five years ago with AC Milan.

And after beating old foe Mourinho, Ancelotti was in confident mood about what lies ahead.

He said: "I think I can win the Premier League - I'm here for this!

"But not only victory is important, I want to put entertainment into the team. Our style is very important."

Source: The sun

0 comments:

Post a Comment